Our 2017 4Runner Build
Explore our 2017 Toyota 4Runner TRD Build
Nothing excites us more than starting a new build, and this year’s biggest build was no different. We pulled out all the stops to make this off-roading Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro a monster all its own. Not only was this an opportunity to make our client happy, but it was also a chance for us to showcase all of our skills at Handcrafted.
Off-Roading Goodies & Features
To start, we would like to feature some of the exterior customizations made to the vehicle. First and foremost, a second battery was added to the vehicle in order to power all the systems and modifications.
Using a custom-built kit by ShrockWorks, a second yellow-top optima battery was added to the vehicle. The aux battery kit also included a mounting bracket that allowed for the relocation of the factory air pump and washer fluid reservoir, as well as a bracket to hold the blue sea systems ML-ACR, which helps to protect the new electrical components.
A custom fuse box was also added in the engine compartment to house the various switches and relays needed to control the lighting and controls added to the car.
Next, the car was equipped with GTR HIDs on the highs and lows, and RIGID SAE approved duallys in the fogs. This provides superior lighting and visibility, which is extremely critical when it comes time to off-road in the dark. Some additional features that we were particularly excited about include:
- Rigid Industries Lighting on Roof Rack, including a 40-inch adapt bar with GPS module. The adapt bar allows for changes in the beam patterns based on the vehicle speed.
- Custom-made rear-mount camera for new bumper
- ARB twin air compressor and ARB front and rear air lockers to refill or lower air pressure for trail driving
- Warn Zeon Platinum 10s winch
- Nitro 4.88 gears
- 285/70/R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers
- Tembo Tusk built slider for National Luna 60-quart fridge with Goose Gear custom drawers
- ICON Stage 7 suspension
- Lowers and Heavy Duty Overland Springs
- CBI Dual Swing ARM Rear Bumper
- CBI Sliders
- Magna Flo 15584 exhaust
- Custom wiring to run all wires through one hole – avoiding vehicle damage
- Ham Radio with custom mounts
- iPad mount for off-road navigation
- Custom dash pods for speakers
- Extensive sound proofing
This build provided us an opportunity to create an off-road beast that still offered plenty of creature comforts that would also make for a safer off-roading experience. From your iconic jerry cans that offer additional gas canisters, to the soundproofing for a quiet and comfortable ride, this 2017 build pulled out all the stops.
The Sound System
Creating a sound system for this build was essentially trying to fit 10 pounds worth of equipment into a five-pound space, and we can confidently say we accomplished this feat. Using all our favorite high-end brands including Hertz, Audison, Audiofrog, and more, we created a custom system that is powered by an Audison BitOne HD. The system includes:
- Audison AV 5.1k
- Audison AV QUATTRO
- GB10/ GB25/GB60
- GS62 on the read doors and read hatch
- 2 HERTZ MILLE Legend ML2000 woofers
- Compustar 700as with drone and t11
- A customized channel configuration that operates completely on stereo
- Custom-made switches that fit in the factory ports
- 6 Tubes of Soundskins Sound deadening material
Our favorite component for this build was the specially designed enclosure for the subwoofer, which was created to fit specifically in the space between the fridge and storage box. This vinyl wrapped enclosure comes with a special-made and etched box that has the TRD Pro Logo and is lit up with red LED lights.
A Handcrafted Showcase
While the 2017 4Runner provided plenty of challenges, it also offered a great opportunity for us to showcase our abilities in manufacturing and wiring. We are proud and looking forward to the next one!